The Japan Anniversary Association announced at the One Piece press conference at Tokyo One Piece Tower amusement park One Piece officially has its own holiday. The 20 year old manga will have its holiday on July 22, the day the manga was advertised as launching despite coming out July 19, 1997.
A plethora of announcements were announced, the biggest of which was news a live-action Hollywood adaptation of the manga; which may or may not make fans happy depending on their opinion of Hollywood adaptations of Japanese media.
Bare details on the new show have been revealed so far. It will be produced by Tomorrow Studios who will also be producing another live-action remake of Cowboy Bebop. The studio is headed by Marty Adelstein who produced shows such as Teen Wolf, Prison Break: Resurrection, and Last Man Standing.
As for the manga itself, being arguably the biggest manga in Japan right now it will be collaborating with the city of Kyoto for an event taking place October 7-22. The name of the event is One Piece 20th x KYOTO Kyoto Straw Travel Journal: Another Country of Wano. It will be based off the Country of Wano arc which is set to start this year.
The staff at the press conference have announced One Piece will be “hijacking” 28 Shueisha covers: BAILA, Bessatsu Margaret, Cocohana, Cookie, éclat, Grand Jump, Jump Square, LEE, MAQUIA, Marisol, Margaret, The Margaret, Monthly YOU, MORE, Myojo, non-no, Ribon, Saikyo Jump, Seventeen, Shosetsu Subaru, SPUR, Subaru, Ultra Jump, UOMO, V Jump, Weekly Playboy, Weekly Shonen Jump, and Weekly Young Jump. Shueisha is the publisher for Weekly Shonen Jump, One Piece’s serial magazine publisher.
2017’s 33rd volume of Weekly Shonen Jump also revealed a bunch of new announcements.
- A video game called Code Name Dawn.
- Hello, One Piece exhibition to start making overseas appearances; starting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia August-October.
- A renewal of the One Piece website as well as a new 20th anniversary special website.
- Tokyo One Piece Tower amusement park to feature a summer festival named Tokyo Pirates Festival starting July 22.
- Shueisha will accept submissions for the Everyone’s Luffy Campaign until August 31st. Fanart of Luffy is to be submitted and 100 pieces of fanart will be selected and published on a cover of Weekly Shonen Jump later this year.
- Shueisha will release volume 1-60 digitally for free for a limited time.
- Twitter campaign where the hashtags #ONEPIECE, #ONEPIECE20th, #ワンピース, and #ワンピース20周年 get a special Straw Hat emoji.
- All nine Straw Hat members to get a Figuarts Zero figure based on 20th anniversary illustration.
- One Piece Ogiri Challenge on the LINE app.
- Communication app SNOW to get Luffy and Chopper stamps.
- 3 One Piece smartphone games (One Piece Grand Collection, One Piece Treasure Cruise, One Piece Thousand Storm) will have special 20th anniversary in-game events.
Source: Anime News Network